Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The woodstove hates me

As many of you know we live in Michigan. It gets really cold here in the winter so to offset the winter heating cost we installed a woodstove. It works great, keeps the house nice and toasty warm and gives the living room a comfy, homey look and feel.

Well, to be honest, I have a love/hate relationship with the woodstove. I love it... it hates me... sigh.

I woke up about 4am this morning, groggily walked out to the living room to check the woodstove. It was almost out, just a few coals left burning. I think to myself, "No problem, I'll just toss a few logs in, get it going again and go back to bed." Needless to say the woodstove had other ideas.

I did all the things my better half told me to do to get it going. I added the smallest logs and set them just so...added crumpled paper to get a flame started to light the logs as I was not about to go outside in the cold and snow to cut up more kindling. The paper lights, the edges of the logs start burning. All is good with the world.

Then the flames die out. Again I think, "No problem, I'll just get it going again and go back to bed."

This time I used crumpled paper and some cardboard, figuring the cardboard would burn longer. It did... didn't help.

Well, two and a half hours and half an XL pizza box (for the stove not me) later my better half wakes up. By this time I am so frustrated I am about to give up. I tell him everything I've done and all I've been able to accomplish is keeping the small pile of coals alive.

He says he'll see what he can do with it. He walks over, kneels down and opens the woodstove door and WHOOSH!!! Major Flamage!!!!

I'd been trying for hours and he walks over and WHOOSH???

On that note I looked at the woodstove in disgust and went back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment